CBD candy is a popular CBD edible because it provides a discreet means of taking CBD and it’s also a delicious and sugary treat. It’s simply a candy infused with cannabidiol, or CBD — the primary compound in hemp and a type of cannabinoid similar to THC in marijuana.
Whether or not you have a sweet tooth, CBD-infused candies are a great choice for first-time takers of CBD, or for those who are looking for a more convenient and palatable CBD product. Read on to learn all the facts and data you’ll ever need to know about CBD candy.
Quick Facts About CBD
- CBD is short for cannabidiol, the second most active compound in marijuana, next to THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), and the primary compound in hemp.
- CBD offers the same potential health benefits as THC; but unlike THC, CBD does not cause psychoactive effects, or the “high” associated with weed.
- CBD derived from hemp only contains up to 0.3% THC — not enough to cause a high.
- Full-spectrum CBD is CBD plus all the other beneficial compounds in hemp, which include THC and more than 120 other phytocannabinoids, and terpenes. Full-spectrum CBD, or whole-plant CBD, delivers the combined effects of these compounds, known as the “entourage effect.”
- Broad-spectrum CBD contains CBD, all other phytocannabinoids, and terpenes, but the THC is removed.
- CBD isolate only contains CBD.
- Organic and US-grown hemp produces quality CBD oil/extract — the raw ingredient used in all CBD products — without any pesticides, heavy metals, and other contaminants.
CBD Candy Benefits
CBD can be taken in different forms, and each one offers its own advantages. You should consider taking CBD candies if:
- It’s your first time trying CBD. CBD candies are available in mild strengths and starting low and slow is the recommended approach for beginners.
- You’re only looking to address a mild condition or to derive a mild effect.
- The taste and texture of CBD oil is not appealing to you.
- You enjoy sugary treats.
- You like having different flavor options.
- You want a subtle way of taking CBD whenever you need it and wherever you are.
- You’re looking for a slow release of CBD.
- You prefer the convenience of pre-measured, fixed CBD dosages.
As for the health benefits of CBD, the scientific jury is still out on whether some of these supposed benefits are unequivocally true and exactly how CBD interacts with the body to produce these effects. But some studies have already shown that taking CBD can potentially help with the following:
- Promoting calmness and relaxation
- Easing anxiety
- Promoting better sleep
- Relieving insomnia
- Soothing pain
- Alleviating mild skin conditions
CBD Candy Dosage
Just like CBD tablets or capsules, CBD-infused candies deliver a fixed dosage. CBD candies are available in different CBD amounts, measured in milligrams. Most CBD candies contain 10 mg CBD per candy; other formulations available are 15 mg CBD, 25 mg CBD, and up to 50 mg CBD per candy.
If you’re a beginner, you should start with the minimum dosage recommended for your weight. Just follow the dosage recommendations printed on the product label. Low dosages are also recommended for mild conditions. It’s important to take the same dosage consistently for a week or two so you can observe how your body responds to it. If you don’t experience the desired effect, you can gradually increase the dosage and stay with it again for the same trial period. Keep increasing the dosage until you get the results you want.
If you hit the sweet spot right away and there are no side effects, you may not have to experiment with a lower dose unless you want to. If you do experience side effects, such as dry mouth, nausea, or changes in appetite and/or weight, you may have taken a higher dose than what your body needs. Reduce the dosage. If you keep experiencing side effects, discontinue use and consult with a doctor.
Adverse reactions are not common, especially with low to moderate doses of hemp-derived CBD. Because CBD candies often contain other ingredients, the reaction may be caused by something other than CBD. If you happen to buy a poor quality CBD product, there’s also a chance that some contaminants are present, or even high levels of THC.
In general, however, and as also stated by the WHO, CBD is often well-tolerated by most humans. Any adverse reactions may not be dose-related, particularly when taking mild-strength CBD such as in CBD candy.
CBD Candy Content
CBD candies contain one or more kinds of sugar syrup, CBD extract, and flavoring. As much as possible, choose a product that only uses natural ingredients and, ideally, organic CBD, so that the positive health effects you’re looking for are not counteracted by any unhealthy ingredients that may be present.
You should also verify that the CBD used is derived from hemp and that the product contains zero or no more than 0.3% THC. You can find this information on the product’s certificate of analysis (COA), which any trustworthy company makes easily available on their website for their customers. The COA, which should have been provided by a reputable third-party lab, should also list the other ingredients present and how much, as well as reveal the presence of harmful contaminants.
Checking the CBD candy content is one way to make sure that you’re getting a good-quality CBD product.