Most dogs go nuts over peanut butter! And this healthy treat certainly makes caring for our beloved canines easier, i.e. when we have to give our dog medicine or to keep him busy for hours playing with an interactive toy with peanut butter in it.
Aside from being delicious, organic peanut butter also offers a number of health benefits. Of course, moderation is still key - peanut butter is still made up of fats, after all. And you have to make sure to only give Fido peanut butter that contains 100% peanuts, and nothing else! What about CBD peanut butter? If you already know about the potential benefits of CBD for dogs, would you be giving your pet another leg up if you combine this medicinal herb with his favorite nutty treat?
Peanut Butter Benefits
Let’s take a look at the positive health effects your dog can get from a spoonful of peanut butter:
- A great source of good-quality plant protein. Protein is one of the macronutrients that plays an important role in your dog’s health. It’s key to building and repairing muscles, maintaining optimal immune function, and boosting energy production, among others.
- Rich in healthy fats. Making sure that your dog gets adequate healthy fats in his diet means keeping his skin and coat healthy. Healthy fats also provide essential support to brain, cardiovascular, and immune health.
- Provides a good dose of vitamins B and E and niacin. Vitamin B impacts brain function, cell metabolism, and energy levels. Niacin, or vitamin B3, is responsible for converting food into energy and in maintaining a healthy digestive system, nervous system, and skin. When given as a supplement, niacin can help reduce cholesterol levels, ease arthritis symptoms, and boost brain function, among many other benefits. Vitamin E is a potent antioxidant that mainly helps with cell repair; it’s often referred to as a “skin vitamin.”
Too much of anything can also be bad, and this is true for peanut butter. It’s important to know the healthy amount to give to Fido, which is mostly determined by his size/weight and age. Ask your vet about the daily recommended amount of peanut butter that you can add to your pet pal’s diet. The kind of peanut butter you choose is also important. You should be aware of the health risks of giving your dog too much or the wrong kind of peanut butter, or both.
- Do not give your dog peanut butter with xylitol as this sugar substitute is poisonous to dogs. Additionally, watch out for peanut butter that does not use xylitol but is loaded with white sugar. Too much sugar in the diet will make your pet prone to yeast infections, parasites, food allergies, low-level inflammation, and diabetes.
- Some peanut butter products may contain aflatoxins, a family of fungal toxins that are common in agricultural products, including peanuts, and are known to be carcinogenic and to cause liver toxicity.
- Peanut butter is high in calories, so it is not be advisable to give it to Fido in any amount if he is overweight or obese, or suffers from diabetes and other health issues. Of course, giving your best bud too much peanut butter can lead to him being overweight, obese, or diabetic.
Whether for overall wellness or as an alternative option for some ailments, CBD derived from organic hemp can give your dog amazing health advantages:
- Cannabidiol oil can be effective against inflammation, nausea, anxiety, and poor appetite.
- CBD oil has been shown to potentially reduce the frequency of and/or prevent seizures in dogs.
- CBD may provide adequate pain-relief without the harmful side effects of over-the-counter or prescription pain medications.
- CBD oil helps promote calmness, which is great for dogs who are prone to agitation, distress, or aggressive/destructive behavior.
CBD Peanut Butter for Dogs
CBD peanut butter combines the positive health benefits of both ingredients. If you are looking to improve Fido’s overall quality of life or hoping to use CBD as a holistic approach to treat an ailment, CBD peanut butter provides you with a tasty option. If your furry pal loves peanut butter, as most dogs do, then he’s in for a treat - in every sense of the word - while he also reaps a lot of benefits.
CBD peanut butter makes it so much easier to help ease a specific condition or support your dog’s general wellness. You can directly feed him a spoonful of CBD peanut butter, slather it on his favorite dog biscuit, or use it in your peanut butter recipes for Fido.
Different CBD peanut butter products for dogs offer different concentrations of cannabidiol, and the recommended amount of CBD will depend on your dog’s size and needs. Follow the serving instructions on the product label or, better yet, talk to your vet to find out the appropriate amount to give to your best bud to get optimal results.
If you’re simply following the product’s serving recommendations, start with the smallest recommended daily intake for the first two to three weeks. Observe how your dog responds to it; afterward, you can gradually increase the measurement on a weekly basis until you see the desired effects.
How long it takes for the CBD to take effect varies from one dog to the next, depending on how fast their body metabolizes the chemical compound and other factors. Make sure you give him a consistent amount on a daily basis, monitor his behavior during the first two to three weeks, and then adjust the measurements as needed. Again, do not hesitate to consult your vet if you’re in doubt.
CBD Peanut Butter for Dogs - Final Thoughts
All pet parents want the best for their furry pals. With CBD peanut butter, you get to give them the best of two worlds - a delicious peanut butter treat and holistic treatment with CBD.
Just make sure to choose a product that contains only 100% peanuts and hemp-derived cannabidiol with zero or no more than 0.3% THC. Read the product label carefully, especially the ingredients list. There should be no xylitol, additives, and any synthetic ingredients. Remember, you want the best for your dog, so choose a high-quality CBD peanut butter product.