If you’re still not sure about giving your best bud pure CBD oil, you can get him started on CBD dog treats. These are just your usual dog biscuits or chews but infused with cannabidiol. CBD treats for dogs are a great way to give Fido a controlled dose of CBD and the variety of tasty flavors available also makes the treats more appealing to your pet.
Why should you choose CBD dog treats?
In terms of potency, CBD oils/tinctures are your best option, if your dog needs fast and long-lasting results. For mild ailments or for general well-being, the benefits of opting for CBD dog treats are as follows:
- CBD dog treats are easier to give to dogs, especially if your pet is fussy when taking medication. You can easily find a flavor that your dog loves so that he’ll actually be excited about taking his CBD-infused treat.
- While the amount of CBD present in a piece of treat or per serving may not be accurate because of degradation during baking, you may find it easier to measure CBD dosages based on the approximate CBD content per serving size as indicated on the product label.
- CBD dog treats are often the better option for dogs who already suffer from anxiety. Giving them medication typically causes more anxiety, whereas dog treats are designed to be appealing and enjoyable.
- There are many well-known brands that now offer CBD dog treats, so you can have a better guarantee of quality and have easy access to their product information online.
- CBD Dog treats are more budget-friendly compared to CBD oil.
- Because CBD dog treats are less potent, you can worry less about accidentally giving Fido too much CBD. (Of course, you must resist your best bud’s adorable antics when he begs for more treats.)
Additional reminders when giving your dog CBD treats
Even with many popular brands adding CBD treats to their product line, keep in mind that the FDA has not approved and does not regulate the manufacture and use of CBD products for animal health. This means that quality control and assurance measures, as well as dosage recommendations, are largely determined by the manufacturer and are not governed by an authorized regulating body. In addition to proper dosing, you should also take note of the following when giving CBD treats to your dog.
- As much as possible, opt for a product that contains broad-spectrum or full-spectrum CBD. Both broad-spectrum and full-spectrum CBD contain other beneficial compounds found in the cannabis plant so that your dog may enjoy the “entourage effect,” i.e., effects that boost each other to offer maximum benefits.
- Full-spectrum CBD will still contain trace amounts of THC, but verify that the THC content of the product is less than 0.3%.
- If you want to avoid THC altogether, you can opt for broad-spectrum CBD which removes THC but retains other beneficial plant compounds. CBD isolate, on the other hand, contains nothing else but CBD.
- Check the list of ingredients; the fewer ingredients are present, the better. Additionally, make sure the other ingredients used are natural.
- Read the product info and find out how the treats were cooked. Ideally, they should be baked at a low temperature to minimize the degradation of CBD.
- In case your pet has food sensitivities, make sure that the CBD dog treat is gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, and/or soy-free.
- CBD dog treats may take up to 40 minutes to take effect, depending on the strength, formulation, and other ingredients present.
- For more serious ailments, such as severe or chronic pain and inflammation, CBD oil may be your pet’s best option.
- If your dog has a liver condition and is taking medications, ask your veterinarian if it’s safe to give him CBD dog treats.
CBD Treats for Dogs - Final Thoughts
Whether they’re for your dog’s general wellness or to address a specific ailment, seek the advice of your veterinarian if you’re thinking of giving your pet CBD dog treats.
There are many health claims being attributed to CBD. However, the little that is known about how CBD may affect health is mostly based on preliminary findings of studies involving humans, and these studies are still not enough in number and scope to provide conclusive results; similar studies involving dogs are even fewer.
With that being said, it’s also hard to discount the experiences shared by countless dog owners and that describe how CBD has helped their pets. In fact, you might even find some vets who give CBD to their own dogs. But always err on the side of caution and seek a veterinarian’s advice before using CBD to manage your canine pal’s condition.
CBD dog treats are a great way to introduce your pet to the wonderful benefits of this plant compound. Always choose a trusted brand, because your dog deserves only the best.