Despite your best efforts, your beloved dog may still suffer from an ailment that causes him discomfort or even pain, disrupts and limits his activities, and affects the overall quality of his life. Aside from conventional treatments using medications, you also have the option of using CBD oil as an alternative remedy and for overall wellness. Here’s your complete guide to the best organic CBD oil for dogs.
Why use CBD oil for dogs?
The immense popularity of CBD oil as a natural supplement and holistic therapy for certain ailments is due to its amazing efficacy and safety. Numerous studies have already looked into the mechanisms by which cannabidiol, or CBD, benefits human health. And it was only a matter of time until the health advantages of CBD for dogs and other animals were also explored.
While studies that specifically look into the effects of using CBD in dogs and other animals are still far and few in between, there is substantial anecdotal evidence that supports the potent therapeutic potential of this cannabis-derived chemical when given to our animal friends.
From managing anxiety and promoting relaxation to providing relief from pain associated with arthritis and other chronic conditions, including cancer, CBD has shown to be a big life-changer for both humans and animals.
The manufacture, sale, and use of CBD oil and other CBD products are still unregulated by the FDA, however, because CBD is still classified as a “health supplement.” Given the increasing demand for CBD products, there has also been a huge rise in the number of manufacturers and suppliers – all of whom have minimal oversight from appropriate and recognized regulating bodies. This means that no regulations and standards have also been established – as of yet – with regards to the safety, quality, effectiveness, and risks of CBD.
The known health advantages of CBD refers to the pure form of cannabidiol. When buying CBD oil, however, the product may also contain other ingredients and may not even use 100% organic cannabidiol, depending on the manufacturer and the specific product type. For the purpose of supporting overall health and/or treating a health condition, you would, of course, want only the best organic CBD oil for your dog.
What to look for in a high-quality CBD oil
When choosing a CBD oil product for your dog, look for the following:
- 100% and organic hemp-derived cannabidiol, to ensure that the product contains less than 0.3% THC, the psychoactive compound present in marijuana (which is a cousin of the hemp plant).
- Concentration of CBD in the product. When buying oil, it should contain 100% cannabidiol plus a carrier oil, and nothing else. Take note that other CBD products, such as CBD dog treats, will have lower concentrations of cannabidiol and include other ingredients.
- Dosage strength per milligram. Different companies offer varying potencies of CBD per mg. The size/weight of your dog and the specific condition you want to treat will determine the correct potency he needs.
- Type of CBD oil extract, of which there are three:
- CBD oil isolate contains only cannabidiol oil extract.
- Full-spectrum oils blend cannabidiol with compounds that are also naturally present in the plant, including terpenes, essential oils, and other cannabinoids, such as THC. Full-spectrum oils are supposed to deliver the complete therapeutic properties of the whole plant. Check the proportions of each component on the product label.
- Broad-spectrum oils contain different cannabinoids, but no THC, so that they deliver the enhanced benefits of all the plant components but without the high of THC.
- A manufacturer that can provide certificates from third-party lab testing which shows the purity and quality of cannabidiol used, as well as the absence of other ingredients.
- A reputable manufacturer may also identify the specific plant source, i.e. hemp strain, as an added guarantee of quality.
- As much as possible, also look for a manufacturer that identifies where the hemp source was grown – specifically if the hemp farm only uses organic and sustainable practices and follows FDA guidelines on growing and use of hemp.
- Mode of CBD oil extraction. The most expensive extraction method is CO2 extraction, but it’s also the most efficient – leaving behind the pure oil. Hydrocarbon extraction uses a solvent, usually ethanol; this also produces high-grade CBD oil but there is a risk that traces of the solvent are left behind if the oil is not treated properly.
- A good-quality product should also include dosage recommendations, as well as other relevant information about use, storage, and precautions.
- Reasonable price. High-grade CBD oil is often expensive, but you can also find affordable products that are of good quality. Most cheap products, however, are often of poor quality.
- Trustworthy customer reviews should be available on the company’s website. Company policies regarding return, refunds, and/or exchanges should also be provided.
Best Organic CBD Oil for Dogs
This brand offers a range of CBD products specially formulated for pets. It’s a highly reputable name in the cannabis industry, known for their high-quality and competitively-priced CBD products. CBDfx CBD oil for pets are full-spectrum blends and extracted via supercritical CO2 extraction.
- Available in 150 mg blend for small breeds; 300 mg blend for medium-sized breeds; and 600 mg blend for large breeds.
- The hemp is ethically sourced from sustainable farms in the USA.
- All pet CBD oils are organic, vegan, with no synthetic chemicals, and use a coconut oil matrix.
- Third-party lab results show that the 600 mg blend for large breeds contain 10.4 mg CBD and 0.055 THC per serving.
- The company has a 30-day money-back guarantee for unopened and unused products.
- Affordable price
NuLeaf Naturals CBD oil for pets is available in high-strength full-spectrum blends: 300 mg, 900 mg, and 1,800 mg concentrations. Their CBD oil is ideal for large breeds, as well as those who need higher than average doses.
- Hemp is sourced from Colorado.
- The full-spectrum oil containing CBD and other cannabinoids is extracted using a two-stage CO2 extraction process – the first uses subcritical CO2 and the second uses supercritical CO2 liquid.
- The two-stage extraction process produces a purer and more potent blend of cannabinoids in the oil.
- Carrier oils used are hemp seed oil and olive oil.
- NuLeaf Naturals products undergo third-party lab testing for purity and composition.
- Third-party lab tests show that the 1,800-mg blend contains 3 mg CBD and 0.14% THC per serving.
- Free shipping via USPS is available within the US.
- They offer a 30-day return and money-back guarantee for unused and unopened products.
- Affordable pricing.
Holistapet offers full-spectrum CBD oils for pets made from 100% organic and vegan raw materials and zero synthetic ingredients, gluten, and soy. The full-spectrum blend formulated for pets contains cannabinoids and organic superfood ingredients.
- Holistapet full-spectrum CBD oil is available in potencies of 150 mg, 300 mg, 600 mg, 1,200 mg, and 3,000 mg.
- The CBD oil contains all-natural, organic, vegan, and dairy- and gluten-free ingredients.
- Environmentally friendly “green” CO2 extraction method is used.
- Hemp is sourced from Colorado.
- Hemp seed oil is used as carrier oil.
- Third-party lab tests of the 150 mg blend show that it contains 13 mg CBD and 0.44 mg THC per mL.
- Free economy shipping via USPS is available for all orders, regardless of total amount.
- Holistapet offers a 30-day, 100% money-back guarantee for unused and unopened products.
- Competitive pricing.
Paw CBD by cbdMD
Paw CBD oil blends by cbdMD are available for both cats and dogs. The CBD oil products are broad-spectrum blends with zero THC, and come in natural flavor, peanut butter flavor for dogs, and catnip flavor for cats.
- CBD oil blends are available in 150 mg, 300 mg, 750 mg, 1,500 mg, and 3,000 mg potencies for dogs.
- The broad-spectrum CBD oil blends are derived from organic hemp ethically sourced within the USA.
- Matrix oil used is palm kernel oil.
- Paw CBD oil is vegan and gluten-free.
- Extraction method used is flash chromatography with ethanol; extraction process leaves no solvent residue.
- Third-party lab testing of the 150 mg tincture has shown that it contains 5 mg CBD and less than 0.01 mg THC (negligible) per serving.
- Extremely affordable pricing.
- cbdMD offers 100% 60-day money-back guarantee.
HonestPaws is dedicated to producing a wide variety of premium CBD products specially formulated for pets. All CBD products are organic, non-GMO, and soy- and gluten-free. You’ll find a CBD product that’s ideal for your dog from the diverse product lineup of Honest Paws.
- Honest Paws CBD blends are formulated for different ailments, such as the Mobility Blend for joint pain and improved mobility for senior dogs, the Calm Blend for anxious and nervous dogs, and the Wellness Mixture for general health.
- CBD blends are available in 125 mg, 250 mg, and 500 mg potencies.
- The full-spectrum blends also contain extra ingredients to enhance their specific effects.
- All CBD products contain zero synthetic ingredients.
- Matrix oil usd is rapeseed oil.
- Hemp is ethically sourced from Colorado.
- Extraction method used is supercritical CO2 extraction.
- Third-party lab results show that the 500 mg Calm Blend contains 10 mg CBD and 0.03% THC per serving.
- The company offers a 30-day money-back guarantee on unused and unopened products, as well as discounted pricing on succeeding purchases via the monthly auto-refill subscription.
- Competitive pricing.
CBD Oil for Dogs – Final Thoughts
Plenty of anecdotal evidence has shown that CBD oil can help dogs by providing pain relief, managing seizures, stimulating appetite, promoting calmness, and treating a host of many other conditions, from inflammation to cancer. CBD oil’s amazing therapeutic properties can also theoretically benefit dogs and other mammals because these animals also have an endocannabinoid system, with which cannabidiol interacts to produce its positive health effects.
Because CBD products are still unregulated and there are still no established standards for safety and effectiveness as of yet, it is best to consult your vet before administering CBD oil to your dog. Determining the correct potency and appropriate dosage will depend on a variety of factors, including your pet’s size/weight and the specific condition you want to treat.
CBD oil has minimal to zero side effects. But many CBD products currently available also contain other ingredients, which may affect your pet adversely, especially if he has an underlying condition and is taking medications. When choosing a CBD oil for your beloved canine companion, make sure that the product is of high quality and made by a reputable company. To get the optimal results, opt for plain CBD oil, with no other ingredients aside from CBD and the carrier oil.
Additionally, always make sure that the CBD oil is derived from organic hemp so that it contains less than 0.3% or zero THC.